WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE REASONS FOR AN INGROWN
OR INVOLUTED NAIL?
The cause of the problem needs to be resolved in the correct way in order to achieve long-term success with a nail correction system. The corners of the nails should not be cut too short.
Possible causes of Unguis incarnatus (ingrown toenail) or Unguis convolutus (involuted toenail):
- Incorrectly cut nail plate (corners of the nails cut down too far)
- Growth disorders (pincer nails)
- Genetic disposition
- Foot malformations
- Toes that are too long
- Valgus malposition on the big toe (leaning sideways/Hallux valgus)
- Toes that cross over (Digitus superductus)
- Shoes that are too tight
- Shoes without much support
- Overloading the feet
- Severe sweat production
- Nail mycosis